Monday, February 20, 2006

Two Poems

It is late and I am feeling poetic again. Allow me to indulge in some literary nonsense. I present two poems to you, dear readers. As always, comments, critiques and criticisms are most welcome.




Whither Conscience?
for Adela who is sometimes very good and sometimes evil.
(inspired by The Satanic Verses by S. Rushdie and the whole idea of there being external forces that influence human decisions)

Angel
On one shoulder
Devil
On the other

One for guidance
Show me the right path
One for deviance
Fair enough

Go right!
Turn around!
But I will take delight
In standing my ground
Ignoring the sound
Of dissenting voices

Angel inspires
Devil conspires
But they can't keep me
From what my heart desires

Always my will
Never theirs
I never listened
Never did
Never will

And now my shoulders are free
From the weight of their feet
And my ears do not feel
The intense heat
Of the eternal argument

They abandoned me
To seek their own enlightenment




Trusting you
for Xinying who trusts and Mehdi who distrusts
(inspired by XY's terrible experience of abused trust and conversations in the kitchen with Mehdi, a new friend)

I like you
I know you
Test me and I'll show you

My uttermost dependability
My childish gullibility

I believe you
I trust you
Though I hardly know you
Test me and I'll show you

My inner vulnerability
My heart's tender fragility

Lie to me
Exploit of me
Take advantage of my stupidity

Are you sorry?
Do you worry?
That you've spoilt my perfect life story?

Crush me
Damage me
Utterly destroy me

I have no intuition
No instinctive self-protection
To stop me being harmed
By your horrific predation
I should have been alarmed

Why was I so dumb?

(XY, I specially wrote this poem with rhymes so that you can memorise and recite it to yourself when dealing with new people)

No comments: